The sari dress: from inception through creation toward completion!
Another "fitting" in front of my bedroom mirror. I couldn't get over how the ribbon (originally intended for straps) still created such a perfect empire waist by simply tying it around me. With the extra fabric gone the potato sack look disappeared and a flattering dress emerged. The forest green material, however, limply cascaded to the floor. The sari dress still needed a little more flare, and I didn't need a tripping hazard.
It was time to risk some help.
Excited to implement this pleat, Mom saved me from laboring through more sewing by efficiently zipping the sari through her modern sewing machine (one with electricity and a foot pedal). When I tried the dress on again she suggested adding a little more practicality: straps. We pulled out the leftover sari and snipped off a bit of the plum wine, past the gold embroidery. After a game of fabric pinching and pinning, Mom designed straps that mimicked the soft gathered look of the dress.
While I enjoyed sole designer status as I conceptualized and began the sari dress, finishing the dress with Mom's creative input and sewing expertise actualized a vivid sari into a one-of-a-kind special occasion gown.
|The front of the dress: plum wine and gold.|
|The back of the dress: plum wine meets forest green.|
|Beautiful gown with room to grow.|
PS. I left the antique sewing machine at Mom's....